Tuesday 22 June 2010

“I was born too soon”

I rode to my dentist’s office today and when I came out into the parking lot there was an elderly lady (late-70s I’d guess) standing looking at my motorcycle.
My first thought was, uncharitably, that she had bumped into me while parking, or something similar. I really didn’t think it would be good.
In the 15 seconds or so it took me to walk to my bike she never moved, just staring at the bike. Then just as I approached and she realised I was the rider she patted the tank and said, “I always wanted one of these, but I was born too soon I guess.” She then gave me a big smile, wished me a great day, and went in for her appointment.
And it was a great day.

8 comments:

  1. That's just lovely! Further evidence that all walks of life think that it's cool to ride.

    Brightened my day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet story. I wonder how many ladies of that generation might have that thought every once in a while...

    ReplyDelete
  3. She touched your tank?! I would have tackled her! Kidding!

    Very nice to get little comments like that. Much better than, "I had this friend who was mangled/killed/injured..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man I would of had to offer her a ride. She might have accepted and made her year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not often that women even notice a motorbike unless they are directly involved either as a pillion or a rider, mostly they walk past or drag their drooling husbands away with an "Over my dead body...." comment.
    I enjoyed the Cannonball post, here in SA we have an annual "DJ Run" for pre 1935 bikes from Johannesburg to Durban, fascinating stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all for the comments. She gave me a smile that stayed with me for quite a while.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ahhhhhhhhh. she truly meant it too.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, but any comments with commercial links will be deleted. You have been warned.