As with many things the best laid plans… etc., etc. So it was that my first prototype of the panning device for my GoPro was less than ideal. It turns out a wiring issue severely limited the life of the microprocessor effectively ‘frying’ it after 1/2 hour or so of pumping excess voltage through the device. A greenhorn mistake to be sure, but I never claimed to be an electronics wizard – quite the opposite. Chalk it up as a learning experience.
I got that sorted finally (which required waiting for a new processor to be shipped in) and with all the electronics working as expected I was able to take a short ride to try it out on the road.
I have noticed some increased vibration/camera shake so I need to address that somehow. The camera mounted directly to the main shaft of the motor seems to be holding up okay but I’m still a bit concerned about that. Otherwise the system is working as I’d hoped so I’ll play with it this summer and then next winter’s project will be a new and improved version 2 based on what I learn.
Now if it would just stop raining and warm up a bit…