Monday 16 December 2013

Winter wheels

We’d had quite a bit of snow over the past week so today it was time to get out the winter wheels (aka ‘Big Joe’ of Shake, Rattle and Roll fame) and have some fun.

Big Joe is about 25 years old - I picked him up used in the early 90’s - so he’s no spring chicken. But he’s very reliable. I tend to abuse him somewhat, leaving him outside year round and generally ignoring basic maintenance, but fill him with fresh gas, hit the starter, and he’s up and running! I only wish all my mechanical equipment was so reliable.

But that does remind me: it’s been about 5 years since I changed the oil so I must make a point of doing that soon. And a tune-up wouldn’t hurt either – at least a fresh plug. Later.

I bundled up against the cold (about –25C this morning) and headed out. Parked beside the garage and covered with snow he was hunkered down against the elements, but after a quick brush-off Big Joe started right up and we were good to go and play in the snow for a while.

Watch here: http://youtu.be/38uUk51Ue6c

14 comments:

  1. I used to have a very similar model as Big Joe. Though I was told to get rid of it last year, but that's another story...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife thought it was too heavy and since it didn't have an electric starter was too much trouble to use. She bought one that had an electric starter, much lighter, single stage and no driven wheels or tracks. I think it's much more work but it starts easy.

      Delete
    2. Unfortunately when we get those heavy, wet snows anything less just won't cut it. But I agree, they can be a bugger to start with no electric start and it's -20.

      Delete
  2. Canajun:

    I wouldn't mind having a machine like that . . . only what would I do with it here on the coast. It might get used once every 10 years

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought it, in fact, from friends and neighbours who moved to Vancouver Island all those years ago. The first winter they got hit with a huge snowfall and wanted it back.

      Delete
  3. I like the Frank Zappa music in your video. Nice choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I like Big Joe and the way he works his moves. What a beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss the sound of snow blowers and snowmobiles . . . but, not a whole lot. Watching you took care of any longing I had to experience it first hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith - Always willing to help out. You're welcome. :)

      Delete
  6. I think we could have used Big Joe a week or so ago. First snow is always pretty, but gets old fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Still have about 4 months to go though.

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, but any comments with commercial links will be deleted. You have been warned.