Thursday 11 December 2014

Mickey to the rescue

Back in June I acquired a new-to-me tractor. Since then it has done yeoman’s service in helping clear felled trees, repairing driveways, and generally moving heavy stuff about. But it hadn’t yet been put to its primary intended role which was for winter snow removal.

That changed last night when the first major storm of the year dumped upwards of 30 cm (12”) of the heavy white stuff, with lots of drifting, on our road and laneway. And I’m pleased to report that Mickey was well up to the task. In about 45 minutes I had cleared 1/2 kilometre of road plus both our and our neighbour’s driveways. And I had some fun doing it!

Snow blowing

Why Mickey? I’m not entirely sure why people name their vehicles but when they do there’s usually some connection to a person – alive or dead – who shares the name. I wasn’t going to call it anything until I saw this recent image of Mickey Rourke and it immediately reminded me of my tractor.

homeboy-splash    IMG_20141108_095303790_HDR

Now you have to admit there is an uncanny resemblance. So Mickey it is.

15 comments:

  1. Mickey seems appropriate for the tractor and it does look like fun playing in the snow. Just glad it is you and not me. I'l suffer with our 74 and a chance of rain this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AZHD - But I'll be thinking of you when it's 80 here in July and you're escaping 110 degree temps by staying in the air conditioning. :-)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops - typo. I agree, an uncanny resemblance (down to the blood dripping from the left eye cut.) Glad you (and Mickey) had fun playing in the snow. Here comes winter - YeeeeeeeeeeeeHa.

      Delete
    2. VSL - Yup. It's here now so let's get out and enjoy it!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Gary - It is - until the novelty wears off.

      Delete
  4. Looks like a perfect name for the tractor.

    The snow clearing appears to be fun too. Well for the first few times I suppose it is. Shall we check back on the fun factor about February?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trobairitz - I expect by February I'll be ready to take the whole damned contraption and drive it out on the (hopefully thin) ice. :D

      Delete
  5. Hard not to admire a tractor looking like and doing what it's supposed to do. Right now I'm glad that yours is getting all of that exercise (50.5 and foggy here today). All snow around here has been frightened away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coop - I think ours is here for good now, or at least the next 4 months. :(

      Delete
  6. So many uses for that tractor :)

    Do you have a backhoe? Oh the holes you could dig!

    With a sling arrangement you've got yourself a dandy motorcycle lift too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David - No backhoe. Took me 8 years of wheedling and whining to get a tractor. Now I can start working on the backhoe. :)
      Never thought of the motorcycle lift feature.

      Delete
  7. Nice, I am envious...of the tractor, not the snow. Thank God none of that here on the east coast yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it's not there yet it soon will be. (Sorry for the late post - went to spam for some reason.)

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, but any comments with commercial links will be deleted. You have been warned.