Tuesday 12 April 2016

And the fun begins.

I decided to go with the 2 vintage Hondas. Of course neither was in my immediate neighbourhood so Saturday morning found me on the road to points west to pick up the S65 (the red one). An overnight stay in a cheap motel and then Sunday I picked up the C65, met up for lunch with an old high school friend I hadn't seen in 50 years, and headed back home, arriving at the same time as the latest April(!) snow storm.

IMG_20160411_095040505web_thumb1

After unloading and getting the snow and slush mostly off, a more detailed inspection was in order. Unfortunately the little blue one, the C65, was in rougher shape than I expected, but to offset that the S65, was better than expected. So that’s the bike I’ll focus on first.

The idea I had was not to do 100% authentic frame up restorations but rather to build a couple of neat old bikes that will run well and be fun to ride.  Not only is it significantly cheaper that way but also easier as after market parts are more readily available. Having said that though, I will not be making any changes that cannot be undone if someone wants to take them back to original condition in the future. So there will be no chopping, cutting off of tabs, or other permanent modifications.

Before spending any significant amount of time and money on replacement parts, job 1 is to check the state of the power train. If the engine is toast I do have a couple of choices. Lifan is a Chinese company that makes bolt-in replacement motors for most of these old Hondas, so that’s one option. The other would be to part out the bike to others who need some quality frame and body components. I don’t like doing that to old bikes though as I’d much rather see them on the road. Fortunately I'm still a long way from making that decision.

Time to dig in.

IMG_20160412_113404238web_thumb1

10 comments:

  1. Pretty ambitious! It looks like a fun project. What year are they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was told one's a 66 and the other's a 67. Still trying to find an accurate source to match serial numbers with manufacturing dates.

      Delete
  2. What charming li'l round-the-towners. I look forward to seeing the progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you'll be busy for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be busy for the first while and then it will slow down considerably as I wait for parts from locations as yet unknown. I expect it will take the better part of a year before it's on the road.

      Delete
  4. Of course! Good choice, David. I look forward to your progress reports.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far all I've got is a pile of parts, nuts, and bolts as I figure out what I need. Then it's a waiting game....

      Delete
  5. Those two bikes look like fun. The snow looks chilly though, hope it has all melted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trobairitz - That snow is gone but we still have quite a bit in the woods. Warmer temps the next few days will take care of that tho.

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, but any comments with commercial links will be deleted. You have been warned.