Monday 8 May 2017

We are doomed.

A while ago I saw this image on line. My first thought was, “Hey, that guy’s wearing my shop jeans!”. Those would be the ones the missus won’t allow me to wear into town, and only grudgingly allows me to wear in the shop. My philosophy is, with a pair of jeans like that who cares how often they get washed. Right? It’s all about saving the environment – fewer washes, less electricity used, less detergents going into the groundwater. And, probably most important, less effort on my part.

jeans

Anyway… It turns out that no one actually absconded with my grubbies because this was an ad for Nordstrom’s Barracuda Straight-Legged Jeans. According to the ad copy, these jeans “embody rugged, Americana workwear that's seen some hard-working action with a crackled, caked-on muddy coating that shows you're not afraid to get down and dirty.”

Except you are afraid to get down and dirty, else you wouldn’t have to pay $400 for a pair of jeans. And if you did actually get down and dirty your $50 a pair jeans would look just like this in a couple of hours.

Nope. If you buy and wear these (and many have as Nordstrom’s is apparently “sold out” of them) you’re a poser, a wannabe, someone who is probably still living in your Mom’s basement.  Which, now that I think about it, is the only good reason to fork over that kind of cash – to convince your Mom that you really are going to work every day and not to the local Starbuck’s where you sit and play with your laptop all day while nursing a grande frappacino latte with soy milk, comparing ruggedness quotients with tattooed baristas.

Unbelievable.

8 comments:

  1. These days nothing surprises me at all. I think these jeans are the denim equivalent of the 1970's pet rock. Oy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dar - Perhaps, but a pet rock was only $5.

      Delete
    2. With inflation today a pet could be $400 ;)

      Delete
  2. Please don't ever let your wife and mine ever meet and compare notes, it could end up being much worse for both of us. I have a similar problem to you, only with shirts. I have a selection of what my wife deems "tasteless beer shirts" which to my mind are perfect for BBQ's, if only she'd let me wear them. However, thank you for the idea of overpriced retro-chic. I may advertise them on eBay for $400 each and buy myself a new helmet with the proceeds. Everyone gets a win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tried selling mine locally, but no takers. I guess we'd need to tackle the San Francisco or New York markets.

      Delete
  3. The ad copy "that shows you're not afraid to get down and dirty.” is wrong. With clean boots and shirt he just looks like an idiot and proves he IS afraid to do the work necessary to get dirty. You're right, we're doomed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point - didn't remark on the shirt and shoes.

      Delete
  4. We live in a world where people do no longer have the opportunity to get dirty, because they are spending their lives in the virtual world...

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, but any comments with commercial links will be deleted. You have been warned.