Saturday 11 May 2019

But is it art?

A few years ago, when we were in New York City, we visited the Museum of Modern Art. One of the exhibits that caught my eye was Marcel Duchamp’s “Bicycle”.

(Picture MoMA)

In case it’s not clear from the photo, this work of art consists of an inverted bicycle fork and wheel (sans tire) stuck in the top of a stool. That’s it. That’s the whole piece.

I remember remarking to the spousal unit that only an established artist could get away with this. Imagine an unknown artist (me, for example) showing up at MoMA’s door with this contraption and having it on display the next day - and a sizeable check in my pocket? Not a chance in Hell.

Still, I did think it was kind of cool in a silly sort of way. Along the lines of my bicycle in the trees. (Which MoMA could acquire for significantly less than what they paid for this piece, if they were interested.)

Now it turns out I can have my own version of “Bicycle” should I want a companion piece to my “Bicycle in trees”. (See what I did there? I gave my 'art' a proper name, thus increasing the value tenfold.) A local Facebook for sale page just listed this copy for a cool $350.

(Picture FB)

But I think I’ll pass. I have some old bike parts around and need only to find a stool. I figure $10 tops for my very own “Bicycle”. Easier than copying the Mona Lisa, for sure.

6 comments:

  1. If I shit on the porch, is it art? What if I mold that crap into a nice rendering of a chipmunk? Then is it art? I used to think it was the talent of the artist that made it art but really its more about the appreciation of the viewers that makes it art. I find myself staring and thinking about that damn chair and wheel so maybe it is art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect you’re right. There’s an old advertising adage that goes something like you can love or hate the ad, but if you’re talking about it then it’s a success. Maybe that’s the right way to look at art.

      Delete
  2. I do think the funniest part is that someone is actually copying it and trying to sell it on a Facebook page. What goes through some minds, I'll never know.

    FYI - I think the same thing is happening with some music. Not "art" anymore, but people seem to like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery they say.

      Delete
  3. I spent the day yesterday at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. It is a mystery to me the strange things people consider art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed.But it's also a very personal reaction.

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, but any comments with commercial links will be deleted. You have been warned.