Saturday 16 September 2017

Possibilities…

We are currently enjoying one of the nicest stretches of weather since last summer (and I’m referring to 2016 here). It’s been a week of temperatures in the high 20s with no rain. Perfect weather for riding.

And today was no exception.

Now that I have the little Kawasaki more or less sorted I’ve been casting about for my next project to keep me occupied over the winter and one of these for sale in the local Kijiji caught my eye, an ‘84 VT500 Interceptor.

Honda_VF500F

I admired them back in the day so I thought, “better late than never”. The bike for sale didn’t look this clean in the ad but it was supposedly complete and running, came with a spare donor cycle, and was price negotiable. So I decided to go have a look and combine that with a nice ride on a hot, sunny, September day.

All was going well until Richmond where I ran smack into a parade that totally blocked my route. The oh-so-helpful police officer that was directing traffic gave me, another biker, and a lady in an SUV, instructions on how to get around the parade. Which put us in a working gravel pit. I guess he really didn’t know the town that well. After a few other false starts and u-turns on dead-end streets we all decided to just wait it out, which we did.

After 15 minutes or so I was back on the road and soon at my destination.

The owner was a young’ish lad who bought the bike with the intention of putting it on the road but became a bit overwhelmed with the amount of work it would take, to say nothing of the $$ required. He was right to be concerned. It doesn’t appear to need any major surgery but will require lots of TLC – certainly more than I’m willing to put in.  And with the engine and 4 carbs all shoe-horned into an impossibly small space in the frame, they are notoriously tough to work on. So I think I'm going to pass on this one but will keep looking for something simpler.

But then, while having a quick lunch at a nearby Tim Horton’s, one of these showed up.

GT750

It has been a long time since I last saw a Water Buffalo (Suzuki GT 750) and this one was pristine. 39 years old and it looked like it came straight off the showroom floor. Not a scratch on it. The owner claims he bought it like this a few years back and all he did was clean it up. It’s all original – paint, exhaust, etc., everything but the tires. He didn’t want to sell it; said it was his favourite to ride. Bummer.

After a pleasant parking lot chat it was back on the road again, taking a slightly longer route home. And four-and-a-half hours and 230 kilometres after heading out this morning I was having a refreshing swim in the lake to cap off a great day.

Manotick loop


8 comments:

  1. At least you got a nice bike ride in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gary, I did. I'm enjoying every minute of this weather.

      Delete
  2. There is a lot of stuff crammed in a small space on those Hondas but they're pretty cool old bikes. https://thegreasyshoprag.blogspot.com/2013/09/ten-dollar-honda.html
    That water buffalo is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scott - That was your lucky day it seems! I think if it was the 750 and not a 500 I might be more tempted. Now if a water buffalo showed up at a nice price....

      Delete
  3. "Water buffalo"? That's what we called them here as well. What a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2Wheeladventures is Sydney’s leading motorcycle rental services. Whether for a short or long term rental or self-guided tour, we provide highest quality motorbikes to suit your needs. 2Wheeladventures offers the ultimate experience for riders.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, but any comments with commercial links will be deleted. You have been warned.