Thursday 18 January 2018

I’m a lumberjack…


Some of you old-timers may remember when I posted about the big blow we had back in 2012.

Well there were four large pine trees that survived that storm but which were making me increasingly nervous with their proximity to the house. No good could come from the potential energy stored in a 100’ tree when applied to the roof of a house. And as subsequent wind storms snapped large branches off and bent the trees to near-breaking (in my opinion) stresses, I realised it was time for them to go.

And today was the day.

With a local arborist doing the heavy lifting (i.e. climbing) while I pulled on the end of a rope to control the direction of the fall we managed to get them all on the ground in three hours. Two  were already showing signs of rot in the core, so it was time.

IMG_0511IMG_0513IMG_0518

It feels good to have one less thing to worry about, except now I have to clean up the mess. I expect any further project work in the garage will be delayed for a few days.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that makes a difference in the scenery. Did you have them take the logs away or are you keeping it for firewood.

    When we took out our giant sequoia we had a friend come take the redwood and remade it into slabs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Part of the arrangement was that he could have the logs. Pine isn't very good for burning, and I have more pine lumber stashed away than I'll ever use, so it made sense for him to take them and put them to good use.

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, but any comments with commercial links will be deleted. You have been warned.