Thursday 16 February 2012

3-second memory

goldfishThere’s a long-standing myth that goldfish only have a 3-second memory. In other words their entire understanding and knowledge of their universe began 3 seconds ago, and by the time they read this sentence (if they could read) their world will have changed. (I sometimes wish I had that affect on all my readers, but I digress.)
In fact it’s been demonstrated that goldfish have very good memories, up to 6 months or more in some cases. But that doesn’t serve my purpose at  the moment, so let’s stick with 3 seconds for now.
This came up again a day or so ago when I heard someone on the radio mention the 3-second memory fiction as if it were fact. It also happened to be at the same time I was outdoors on a beautiful, sunny, warm day desperate for a ride but knowing full well I was at least a month away from having ice-free roads on which to ride.
Truth be told I was daydreaming about that perfect ride I’m sure to have as soon as the snow goes and I no longer have to bundle up like the Michelin man to avoid freezing to death in a 60 mph wind chill.
And in that odd way that the mind sometimes wanders and thoughts conflate I got to thinking that perhaps goldfish, if they really only had a 3 second memory, and if they really could ride, would always experience that perfect ride.
Just think about it. You have no history, no concerns beyond what happened in the past 3 seconds. You have no concept of a future and hence no worries about what’s around the next corner, or the next stage of your life. You are just here, just now. It’s you, a motorcycle, and a road. What could be more Zen, more in-the-moment than that? And isn’t that what the perfect ride is all about?

5 comments:

  1. Canajun:

    I have 3 second memory when it comes to food. Like a goldfish I don't know when to stop.

    Your analogy to riding is perfect, but how do you remember to change gears & clutch ? Where are you riding to ? where is home ? also no friends . . .

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob, doesn't matter. It's all in the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd be fine with the no friends. Not so much with the "how the hell did I learn how to ride this thing!" :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. But if you only had a 3 second memory, you would never rememeber how awesome riding a motorcycle is

    ReplyDelete
  5. Geist - When you reach a certain age you don't remember how you learned to ride anyway. :)

    NoName - True, but when you ARE riding, it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, but any comments with commercial links will be deleted. You have been warned.