Saturday 8 December 2012

And here it comes……

No that’s not just a dirty camera lens – that’s snow, big, fluffy, wet snow drifting down.
2012-12-08 12.16.35
We’ve been fortunate this year to have a relatively mild fall and a late freeze, extending the riding season well into November and even, if you hadn’t already stored your bike for the winter, into the first week of December. But it looks like our bonus time is up, and just in time for Christmas.
Now I could quite happily live in a climate that was 80 degrees every day with evening lows of 70 or so, but such places are few and far between and seem to be mostly small islands that get wiped out every second or third hurricane season.  The only other options seem to be places that are either too hot to ride in the summer or too cold or wet to ride in the winter, and I’m more or less stuck in the latter. But if I have to endure a few months of less than ideal riding conditions I would rather it be snow than rain. I know, I know, you don’t have to shovel rain, but the endless gray skies would drive me insane.
Besides, you have to admit, it is pretty.

9 comments:

  1. Canujun:

    "You don't have to shovel rain", I heard this somewhere before

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast
    My Flickr // My YouTube

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have learned to embrace the rain, I have found the right gear combo, so it's not too bad. It does however get tiresome when it's continual rain and the grey does get to be a little overwhelming at times, but it's still better than snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dar - I'm a blue-sky kind of person. 3 days of no sunlight and I'm ready for the white coats....

      Delete
  3. For everything a season. That's what my brother-in-law tells me. He stores his bikes and gets out his snowmobile. Twist and go!

    And, yes it is pretty.
    ~k

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CB - That would be great but around here the snowmobile season has gone from 4 or 5 months 20 years ago, to about 6 weeks now. Every second driveway seems to have one or two snowmobiles parked on it with a for sale sign. So if anything I'd be more inclined to get myself a Ural to be able to enjoy the entire winter, snow or not.

      Delete
    2. I'm a number of the guys in Michigan are just running ATV's pretty much year around, for much the reason you mention. Getting the Ural sounds like a much better choice.

      Delete
    3. At least you can ride it on the roads which, in some parts at least, is illegal for ATVs. Not sure about Michigan though - can they ride on the highways there?

      Delete
    4. My understanding is you can run on non State highways as long as you have the usual street safe lights and mirrors, but I'm not certain on that. I know they do; and up North in the winter there is probably even more leeway. There's a guy in Minnesota who drives a Spyder year around, but the roads pretty much need to be plowed because of their lousy ground clearance. When it comes to snow, the Ural is it.

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, but any comments with commercial links will be deleted. You have been warned.