Monday 28 January 2019

Get me out of here!

I have a love-hate relationship with winter. On occasion I have been heard to say that I don’t really mind it all that much. Of course that’s when I’m rationalizing to all my snowbird friends why we aren’t spending the next 6 months golfing in Florida or Arizona with them. And usually I don’t mind a normal winter where there are enough ‘nice’ days to offset the frequent miserable days. A day with temperatures about –5C, sunshine, and no wind is kind of magical. Being out in a pristine white landscape marred only by our snowshoe tracks and the meandering trails of nocturnal critters, birds flitting about, the heat of the sun warming our backs, is a fantastic feeling.

But this year the pendulum is definitely over on the 'hate' side of the arc. We’ve had snow on the ground since forever, and January has battered us with well below normal temperatures most days (-25C again this morning), cold north winds have been persistent giving wind chill readings in the –30s and lower, and the sun has made only rare appearances. A sort of cabin fever has set in that makes even disappearing into the shop feel like more effort than it’s worth.


In short, I’m done! So I’m really looking forward to a few days’ escape with a guys trip to Vegas. It won’t be hot, but even 15-16C will seem balmy in comparison. Throw in a round of golf, some time on the strip, (hopefully) a bit of luck at the tables, and I should be ready to face February when I get back. And from there it’s all downhill to spring and (again, hopefully) an early riding season.


Wish me luck!

4 comments:

  1. Good idea, David. Can I come along? I could also need some warmer weather although, compared to yours our temps around the freezing point makes me suddenly sound like a wimp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonja, you're not a wimp, it's just that you've been out of Canada too long.

      Delete
  2. I understand that love-hate thing with winter. But I think that I’m more on the hate side these days… AZ is nice in the winter and I’m sure that LV will be similarly nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't say LV is hot in February, but it's sure a lot warmer than here, so I'll take it.

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, but any comments with commercial links will be deleted. You have been warned.