Tuesday 7 May 2019

A shed full of 'Sea Kings'

For more than 5 decades, the Canadian Navy flew the venerable Sikorsky CH-124 Sea King. Long past it’s projected life span, they were finally retired in 2018 after a 35-year project to select a replacement finally resulted in a new helicopter for the Navy. It was the very definition of a political football as successive governments tried to out-stupid each other over the project.

Now this has nothing to do with anything really, except that it was reported that, in its later years, the aging Sea Kings required more than 30 hours of maintenance for every flying hour.

Which is pretty much like every mechanical device I own. Well, except for that whole life or death thing associated with equipment failure at 10,000 feet.

I was all set to put the second little KZ 440 on the road, until I discovered a dodgy bearing. (Here) Other than pulling the engine from the frame little progress has been made on that front because I’ve been too busy fixing other stuff.

Then I went to use the lawnmower the other day and it wouldn’t start. No spark. A few hours later I had it apart on the bench and discovered the magneto/coil ignition gap was incorrect. Put that all back together and now it’s running again, for a while. Of course I’m not too upset about the lawnmower as it was a good deal. (Here.) But I haven’t found a suitable replacement at the dump yet, and I don’t want to have to buy one.

And today was a nice day to till the garden in preparation for planting season. I hauled out the ancient roto-tiller and it wouldn’t start. It’s always been balky, but eventually I would get it running with liberal doses of quick start or raw gas poured into the carb. This time, no go. I’ve been able to isolate a fuel problem of some sort but that will now have to wait a day or so before I can get to it.

And in the middle of all that I discovered that the “professionals” who shingled the house roof 13 years ago had left a cut in the shingles, exposing some roof sheathing to 13 years of rain, snow, and ice, with the predictable result. As a dry attic is pretty important, everything else was put on hold as I replaced a 2’ by 4’ section of rotted roof sheathing and re-shingled the area.

All of which is to say I’ve spent the better part of the past week just fixing stuff so it could be used, while not actually using any of it. I must be getting close to that 30-1 ratio.

3 comments:

  1. Hahahaha - that touched a nerve here too, David! The house and garden are supposed to be relatively maintenance free but there's always plenty to do. Likewise with things that hum and whirr inside the house - kitchen appliances, vacuum cleaners and this week, one of our freezers and the stairwell light. I'm beginning to think that my wife mainly married me for my maintenance skills rather than for my charm and rugged good looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect that's the case here as well, including computer skills. :)

      Delete
    2. Ha Ha Geoff and David. I told my husband right from the start that's why I was marrying him ... to fix things ;o) In this day and age people who know how to (or care to) fix things are few and far between. WALK TALL AND PROUD handy men and women! I'm glad you and I (and my sons) are part of the non-disposable generation.

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, but any comments with commercial links will be deleted. You have been warned.